Can ChatGPT Write a Blog Post About Payment Card Marketing?
Just like people across the globe, we’ve been kicking the tires on ChatGPT (a chatbot built on open AI) and other generative AI. These artificial intelligence tools have been deployed in experimental phases to collect feedback and correct mistakes. Some of those mistakes have led comedians, journalists and others to mock the early models, but we believe their current limitations are temporary. As they build and learn, they warrant ongoing attention and curiosity.
ChatGPT uses a conversational “dialogue format” to answer questions, and as marketers we’ve been experimenting with its copywriting capabilities and testing its knowledge in topics where we’ve developed highly specific expertise. We have an example for you below, along with our assessment of how it did. But before we get to that, here’s some early thinking on what ChatGPT can and can’t do when it comes to content development.
ChatGPT content capabilities and limitations
As CNET reports, “We’re all obsessed with the mind-blowing ChatGPT AI chatbot.” It calls ChatGPT an “artful BS artist” that can explain a concept or write a poem but “doesn’t exactly know anything.” CNET’s Stephen Shankland writes, “It’s trained to recognize patterns in vast swaths of text harvested from the internet. The answers you get may sound plausible and even authoritative, but they might well be entirely wrong.”
It’s the “harvested from the internet” aspect that has content creators and publishers believing ChatGPT sits apart from what they do. They point to – or assign – limitations on its utility, as Science journal has done in a recent update to its guidelines: “For years, [our] authors have signed a license certifying that ‘the Work is an original.’ For [us], the word ‘original’ is enough to signal that text written by ChatGPT is not acceptable: It is, after all, plagiarized from ChatGPT.”
And while the interests of professional journals – and blogs like our own with expert financial services marketing insights – may differ from consumer usage, we agree with Marketing Brew when it says, “The need for human judgment doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.” The direction ChatGPT itself described for the BBC makes sense to us: “AI systems like myself can help writers by providing suggestions and ideas, but ultimately it is up to the human writer to create the final product.”
What happened when we asked ChatGPT to write a blog post on payment card marketing?
To give ChatGPT a spin as a blog writing tool, we asked it to write a blog post about the impact Jasper and ChatGPT will have on payment card marketing. We invite you to read it (below) and let us know how you think it did! Here’s our assessment:
- Overall, the ChatGPT authored post is sound and accurate.
- It notes many of the same impacts as think pieces we’ve read from other credible sources.
- In terms of POV, we found it light on detail and lacking examples.
- When it comes to writing, its strengths include clarity and structure. However, it also includes a fair amount of repetition and inconsistency with punctuation (like the Oxford comma).
Currently, it appears that blog copy like that generated by ChatGPT could create a “sea of sameness,” and we believe we owe it to our clients and fellow marketers to provide deeper insights, as we do regularly at this blog.
Sample financial services blog copy from ChatGPT
Jasper and ChatGPT are two different Artificial Intelligence (AI) services, each with its own unique capabilities and purpose.
Jasper is an AI-powered customer engagement platform that provides businesses with the tools and insights they need to improve customer experiences and increase customer loyalty. Jasper uses AI algorithms to analyze customer data and behavior, allowing businesses to personalize customer interactions and offers. With Jasper, businesses can automate repetitive tasks and processes, freeing up marketing teams to focus on more strategic initiatives.
ChatGPT, on the other hand, is a language-based AI model developed by OpenAI. It is designed to generate human-like text based on the input it receives. ChatGPT can be used in a variety of applications, including chatbots, customer service, and content creation. With its ability to understand and respond to natural language, ChatGPT can help businesses interact with customers in more conversational and engaging ways.
In summary, while both Jasper and ChatGPT are AI services, they serve different purposes. Jasper is a customer engagement platform that helps businesses personalize customer experiences, while ChatGPT is a language-based AI model that can be used for a variety of applications, including customer service and content creation. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is rapidly transforming many industries, including payment card marketing. The integration of AI services, such as Jasper and ChatGPT, has the potential to revolutionize the way payment card companies approach marketing by providing new and innovative ways to interact with customers. In this blog post, we’ll explore the various ways in which AI services like Jasper and ChatGPT will shape the future of payment card marketing.
- Personalized Customer Experiences / One of the key benefits of AI services like Jasper is the ability to personalize customer experiences. By analyzing customer data and behavior, AI algorithms can provide payment card companies with a deeper understanding of customer preferences, needs, and pain points. This information can then be used to create customized offers and recommendations, such as cashback rewards or special promotions, that will appeal to each individual customer. The result is a more engaging and satisfying customer experience that will drive customer loyalty and usage of payment cards.
- Chatbots and 24/7 Support / Chatbots powered by AI services like ChatGPT can provide customers with quick and convenient access to information and support. For example, payment card companies can use chatbots to answer frequently asked questions, such as balance inquiries or transaction history, or to resolve customer service issues. Additionally, chatbots can work around the clock, providing 24/7 support and resolving customer inquiries even outside of normal business hours. This can significantly improve customer satisfaction and reduce the burden on customer service teams.
- Fraud Prevention / Fraud prevention is a critical concern for payment card companies, and AI services like Jasper can play a crucial role in reducing the risk of fraud. AI algorithms can analyze vast amounts of data to identify patterns and anomalies that indicate potential fraud. By doing so, AI services can help to reduce the risk of fraud and provide a more secure payment card experience for customers.
- Increased Efficiency / Another benefit of AI services like Jasper is the ability to automate repetitive tasks and processes, freeing up marketing teams to focus on more strategic initiatives. For example, AI algorithms can be programmed to analyze customer data and automate targeted campaigns, reducing the time and effort required to launch new marketing initiatives. This increased efficiency can help payment card companies to stay ahead of the competition and reach their marketing goals more quickly and effectively.
- Improved Customer Insights / By analyzing customer data and behavior, AI services like Jasper can provide payment card companies with valuable insights into customer preferences, needs, and pain points. This information can be used to inform product development and design, as well as marketing and customer service strategies. As a result, payment card companies can create better experiences for their customers and establish stronger relationships with them over time.
- More Effective Customer Engagement / One of the greatest benefits of AI services like ChatGPT is the ability to engage with customers in new and innovative ways. For example, payment card companies can use chatbots to create personalized conversations with customers, providing them with relevant information and support. This type of customer engagement can significantly improve customer satisfaction and drive usage of payment cards.
- Cost Savings / Finally, the integration of AI services like Jasper and ChatGPT can result in cost savings for payment card companies. By automating repetitive tasks and processes, AI can reduce the time and effort required to launch new marketing initiatives, freeing up marketing teams to focus on more strategic initiatives. Additionally, by reducing the risk of fraud, AI can help to lower operational costs for payment card companies.
In conclusion, the impact of AI services like Jasper and ChatGPT on payment card marketing will be significant. From personalizing customer experiences and reducing fraud to increasing efficiency and improving customer insights, AI has the potential to revolutionize the way payment card companies approach marketing.